Sunday, January 15, 2012

To go or not to go...

It all started last summer. Well, actually, the summer before. Well, when I really think about it, it started over 20 years ago, when I first heard of Mercy Ships. I was immediately enthralled with their work: providing medical care to the poor and forgotten in Africa. I thought to myself, "If I ever become a nurse, THAT is what I want to do!" Since then, I've kept tabs on their ministry, always hoping, someday...

Fast forward 20+ years. In the summer of 2010, while recovering both from a fractured ankle and a broken heart after spending 3 months in post-earthquake Haiti, I read a book titled The Hole in Our Gospel. It reached into the depths of my aching heart and gave it a purpose. To go. To do. Something, anything to help this hurting world. To go, but how/when/where? That's when it dawned on me; it was time to apply to Mercy Ships, and see if God would open the door.

I was accepted, but was unable to serve in the time slot they wanted me due to my still-recovering ankle.

Then, in summer 2011, I began dreaming again about Mercy Ships. But I wanted to make sure that it was what God wanted me to do. So I decided that I would not contact them, and that I would leave it in God's hands. THREE DAYS later, I received an email from Mercy Ships, asking if I could serve sometime in the first half of 2012. Where? Togo, Africa. Ohhh, I just love how our God works. He not only let me know that He indeed wanted me to go, but also, to go to Togo. God has a great sense of humor.

Nancy: Lord, I want to go!
God: OK.
Nancy: Where, Lord?
God: Togo.
Nancy: Yes, that's what I said, I want TO GO.
God: Yes, that's what I said, TOGO.
Nancy: Huh? Sometimes I don't understand You, Lord.
God: You will soon. The email's coming.

And so, on March 11, I gotta go...to Togo :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes Nancy, you are Togo... We'll lift you in prayer for safe travels and that that our Heavenly Father will have prepared for your arrvial to maximize the use of your skills. Mick & Deb

    ReplyDelete